Let's Talk about boudoir sessions!
Let me first say that it’s crucial that you look and feel natural for your session. Your boudoir portraits are about you and capturing your real beauty. Keep that in mind in all your prep and planning and wardrobe selection. Here are the prep details and suggestions:
- Bring a variety of outfits to change into, and I will help you pick out the ones will photograph the best. It’s better to bring more than you need versus not enough.
- Simplicity is always best, so when in doubt keep in mind that “less is more.”
- Bring clothing that you would typically wear and avoid going over-the-top or getting into “costume” outfits.
- Simple bra-and-underwear combinations are best, without the fuss of knee-high tights or corsets.
- Include other wardrobe items such as tank tops, men’s dress shirts, or anything else that says “lounging around being sexy.”
- Avoid patterns and stripes.
- Avoid tight-fitting undergarments as they leave indentations on the skin.
- Wear minimal jewelry for your portrait. Jewelry that you wear on a daily basis is fine, but I prefer not to have you accessorize and add extra jewelry that you usually wouldn’t wear. If anything, it should be kept simple, and its color should be neutral and non-distracting.
- I recommend against going for a professional tan or tanning outdoors before your session. A fresh tan may look good in person but the camera is more sensitive to skin tones, and your natural color is always more flattering in photographs.
- I prefer bare feet for boudoir as opposed to accessorizing with heels.
- Your hands will likely be a focus for some of your portraits, so I recommend a fresh manicure to your taste. Keep in mind that you should avoid distracting colors; typically a neutral polish or French tips are best.
- For hair and makeup, keep it natural as opposed to going too over-the-top. You may be more comfortable with having your hair and make-up professionally done, or you may be more comfortable doing it yourself. Whichever you choose, it is crucial that you feel beautiful and confident.